Using the Power BI template: A step-by-step guide
A quick and simple 5-step guide to using our Power BI template.
Use the following steps to easily leverage our template and create your own dashboards.
- Save template with new file name, so you can refer back to original template
- Identify the format you want to use
- Drop pages you will not be using
- Duplicate tab
- Resize visuals and re-size page
- Order visuals in tab order, confirm filters appear before the visuals that they filter
- Remove spacers
- Delete all mock data tables, apply changes, and verify nothing is broken.
- Name tabs desktop and mobile
- Complete developer checklist
- Verify Alt text (click every visual/textbox -> format -> expand general -> inspect alt text)
- Verify tab order is correct (click outside dashboard and use tab key)
- Publish to Power BI Online
- Use screen reader to verify alt text
If you have a pre-existing Power BI dashboard you'd like to convert to this template, you have options. You can build within the template. In that case, you will just have to re-create your data model within this file. The easiest way to do this is to copy and paste each query code from the advanced editor and recreate your measures. Then just follow the same steps above.
If your pre-existing file is very complex, you can convert a file to this template using the steps below.
- Open pre-existing dashboard
- Add new tab
- Re-size new blank page to width = 700, height = 800
- Copy/paste visuals from template file. Or, add new visuals
- DO NOT copy or use any of the pre-existing visuals
- Complete all design and accessibility steps above
- Complete checklist